Cayuga County Historian Linda Frank will speak on "The Forgotten Abolitionists - Political Antislavery in New York State, 1839-1856," at 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 25, at the library. Come and learn about the little-known reformers who used the political process to bring the issue of slavery to the national stage. No registration is needed.
A health insurance navigator will be at Seymour Library two days a week to help people sign up for health insurance.
Beginning Friday, Nov. 15, Simone Hamilton of East Hill Medical will be at the library to help people enroll for New York State of Health insurance. Appointments are available between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Fridays. The appointment lasts about one hour.
To make an appointment, contact Hamilton at 702-7212 or shamilton (at) easthillmedical.com . Individuals and families can sign up for health insurance coverage that begins as soon as Jan. 1.
Seymour Library is hosting its first Story Tree Gallery, an event in December that will feature festively decorated trees inspired by a favorite book. Participating in the event requires only a $10 entry fee
and an abundance of holiday spirit and creativity. The deadline to enter is Friday, Nov. 15. Read on to see how you can participate!
The trees will be on display at the library the weekend of Dec. 6, 7 and 8 and will be sold in a silent auction that benefits the Friends of Seymour Library.
1. Pick up a tree and an entry form now through November 15 at the library. The entry fee is $10 and covers the cost of the tree. Because of size requirements and space limitations, and to keep a consistent look, the trees must be purchased at the library.
2. Choose any book and let it be the inspiration for the tree decorations. You don't need to own, borrow or provide a copy of the book. You'll need to provide the title of the book on the entry form.
3. Anyone is eligible to enter: individuals, families, classrooms, civic organizations, businesses or other groups.
4. Bring the decorated tree and the entry form to the library between 5 and 8 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 4, between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, or between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6. (Please call the library at 252-2571 if none of these times are convenient.)
5. The decorated trees will become the property of Seymour Library and will be part of a silent auction held through the weekend of Dec. 6-8. The minimum bid is $10, and bids may be increased in increments of $5.
Choose any book you like - one that you loved as a child, one that has special meaning to you now, or that illustrates the kind of work that you do. Get your family, friends or staff involved, and get decorating! And make sure to come and see all of the trees the first weekend in December. Your participation will help to create happy memories and a fun holiday event - and it will support the Friends of Seymour Library, which works year-round to help Seymour Library enrich, engage and inspire our community.